Job Title: Controller
Location: Mayville, ND
Benefits: Includes: single or family health care coverage (premiums paid for by the university), basic life insurance, EAP, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual and sick leave.
Optional benefits available: supplemental life, dental, vision, long- term care insurance, flexible spending account, and supplemental retirement plans.
Who can apply: Internal/external candidates eligible to work in the United States. Mayville State University will not offer visa sponsorship for this position.
Start date: TBD
The mission of Mayville State University is to educate and guide students, as individuals, so that they may realize their full career potential and enhance their lives. We do this in an environment that reflects our tradition of personal service, commitment to innovative technology-enriched education, and dynamic learning relationships with community, employers, and society.
Under the direction of the Vice President for Business Affairs, this position has the overall responsibility for the accuracy, integrity, oversight, compliance and maintenance of MSU financial records; ensuring the timeliness of financial transactions; providing adequate internal controls and preparing financial reports in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and in compliance with federal, state and NDUS regulations related to the finances of not-for-profit higher educational institutions. The Controller is responsible for providing vision, leadership, planning, project coordination, and management of Business Affairs. Additionally, this position is responsible for analyzing and directing all functional related activities within the financial component of the PeopleSoft/Oracle system and supervision of the Business Office staff.
- General knowledge of the principles and practices of effective management, supervision, and motivation of staff.
- Knowledge of principles of institutional planning and financial planning.
- Knowledge of computer office systems and ability to use a broad range of technology, systems, and software packages.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state regulations and current trends, developments, and best practices relative to the field of financial reporting and services.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated, highly productive and a problem solver.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills with the ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks and projects under competing deadlines and maintain flexibility in response to constantly shifting priorities.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise sound administrative judgment and initiative in the development of new methods and procedures and in the solution of difficult personnel problems.
- Ability to review and evaluate program service delivery methods and systems and identify opportunities for improvement and implement changes to standard operating procedures to enhance services.
- Ability to foster employee development through coaching, counseling, training and providing timely, specific performance feedback so that employees can improve.
- Ability to develop and implement short and long-term plans and initiatives to meet established goals and advance the vision of the university.
- Interpersonal, and communication skills, including ability to work effectively within a diverse multicultural environment and collaborate across organizational lines.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- Three years’ experience managing accounting and reporting activities of a complex institution preferably in higher education.
- Three years' experience supervising personnel.
- Ability to interpret and apply GASB, GAAP pronouncements, principles, and policies.
- Knowledge of University financial software PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of North Dakota University System accounting policies and guidelines.
- CPA certification or master’s degree preferred.
Application review will begin August 15th and will continue until filled.
MaSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity. ND veteran's preference laws apply to this position. Veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a DD-214 and if claiming disabled status, a current letter of disability. The state of North Dakota has an open records law; therefore, your application could be subject to review upon request. A criminal history background check must be satisfied prior to employment.
ND Relay: http://www.relaynorthdakota.com/
“This search is being conducted consistent with the State of North Dakota Open Records statutes.”