The Burleigh County Human Resource Department will be accepting applications from October 24, 2019 through December 5, 2019 for the position of Finance Director available in Burleigh County.
Pay Grade: 16
Starting Pay Range: $88,566.40 - $98,404.80 DOE
Type of Recruitment: Internal/External
Job Summary: Under supervision of the Board of County Commissioners, performs complex administrative duties directing the accounting and budgetary operations of the County acting as comptroller in charge of revenue and expenditures
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field; must be a Certified Public Accountant, and have 3-5 years’ experience in a similar position with general knowledge of accounting techniques, laws, and regulations pertaining to governmental accounting practice.
· Must have the ability to design, prepare and present complex budget and computerized accounting systems.
· Must possess excellent communication skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials and employees, and the general public.
· Must possess computer skills with proficiency in MS Excel. Must have the ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others, and analyze, interpret, and prepare reports and records.
· Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, department policies and procedures.
- · Experience in property management of buildings and grounds, and negotiating leases preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for performing complex administrative duties and professional work in directing the accounting and budgetary operations of the County, acting as comptroller overseeing all revenue and expenditures for the County.
· Responsible for computing mill levies for all taxing districts in the County in accordance with state statue, prepare tax abstract for the state and prepare financial data/information for the State Legislature.
· Advise County Commissioners and Department Heads on financial issues and assist with reviewing budgets and financial audits; attend Commission meetings.
· Prepare and review journal entries, prepare reports for the state, and review bank statement reconciliations.
· Compile a comprehensive annual financial budget, review, analyze, and interpret monthly financials, and monitor budget for overages and shortages.
· Formulate, implement, interpret, and monitor enforcement of county accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure the integrity of county financial operations and compliance with all legal requirements and applicable accounting standards.
· Oversee the maintenance of the County’s capital asset records, track capital expenditures, identify and assign inventory numbers to capital assets, and prepare capital asset reports as scheduled.
· Serve as property manager for the County Courthouse and Provident buildings negotiating leases.
· Administers the risk management insurance coverage’s.
· Administer state and federal grants. Compile data for County Auditor’s Certificate of Indebtedness, tax data, bonding process, and political subdivisions.
· Responsible for assisting department heads in preparation and review of annual budgets, review journal entries, develop and implement accounting techniques, internal auditing, and implementing controls.
· Administer the County’s liability, boiler and capital asset insurance policies.
How to Apply:
Tip to Applicants: Read and follow the instructions on the Vacancy Announcement, the application, and any other requested item before completing and submitting your application packet.
· Applicants must apply and register at the following address: http://burleighco.com/jobs/.
· Applicants must also provide,
- Three (3) professional references;
- College Transcripts (unofficial are fine)
- Cover letter that clearly explains how the applicant’s work experience is related to the description of essential duties and responsibilities, minimum qualifications, and level of work experience. Applications must be submitted online by the closing date. All other required documents must be submitted to Burleigh County Human Resources, 316 N. 5th St., Suite 106, PO Box 5518, Bismarck, ND 58506-5518 or e-mailed to: email@example.com by the closing date listed. Failure to apply online and send required documents will result in your application not being considered further. Telephone number: (701) 222-6669. Fax number: (701) 221-3395.
· We only accept applications online. We no longer accept paper applications. We do not receive or accept general employment applications. Applicants must apply for a specific position within the County to be considered for that position. All Job Service North Dakota locations or Burleigh County’s Human Resource office can assist you with completing your online application.
· Applicants who are residents of North Dakota and eligible to claim veteran’s preference must include Form DD214. Claims for disabled veteran’s preferences must also include Form DD214 and a letter less than one year old from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating disability; claims for preference as the eligible spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran must include Form DD214, a marriage certificate, and a letter less than one year old from Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indicating disability, or the veteran’s death certificate.
· People who may need additional job information or may require accommodation or assistance with the application or interview process should contact Burleigh County Human Resources at 701-222-6669.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The employing agency does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, genetics, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services, and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.