Role Title: Director of Finance & Accounting
Reports to: CEO
Hours: M – F (8:00 AM – 5:00PM)
Pay Range: $60,000 - $80,000 (based upon experience)
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, IRA + Employer Match, Paid Holidays & Vacation, Life Insurance/AD&D, & More!
The Director of Finance & Accounting will provide strategic collaboration with leadership, facilitate the HR & hiring processes, and provide accountability & oversight of all day-to-day accounting operations. The Director will ensure that correct systems and procedures are in place to provide accurate and informative financial data. The Director will work closely with department managers to not only inform and educate regarding procedures and reports, but to explore how the accounting function can support and drive departmental operations by making recommendations as appropriate. The Director will advise management regarding revenue enhancement and cost reduction opportunities. The Director will prepare, analyze and interpret financial reports for management information and control. By doing so, the Director, in conjunction with management and the leadership team, will be instrumental in driving change and implementing management directives to positively impact the overall goals of the company. This position will serve as principal liaison to external contacts regarding benefits, banking, financial consulting and income tax preparation.
o Involvement in various accounting and financial projects as directed by management.
o Perform cash projections to effectively plan for anticipated cash sources and uses.
o Make recommendations based on review of data and trend analysis to improve of operations and subsequent profitability.
o Evaluate operational and financial functions, opportunities, and duties in terms of best practice and time utilization.
· Human Resources:
o Facilitate the hiring process for all new job openings, guiding all performance improvement plan discussions and periodic reviews, leading the evaluation process, and providing the support for both terminated employees and the company during the termination/resignation process.
o Lead the annual benefits enrollment meetings and communicate the related cost changes to employees in a timely manner.
o Primary point of contact for employee complaints, concerns, need for confidential conversations, etc. If unable to work out issue with the supervisor, Director of Finance & Accounting is next point of contact.
· IT Oversight:
o “Owns” company’s integrated software program TFBO, and become in-house expert; answer questions and perform research and changes to enable full usage of program capabilities.
o Assist, as needed, other company staff in the proper, efficient use of technology. Liaison with IT provider.
· End of Period: Reporting & Reconciliation:
o Assist CPA firm in preparation of all year-end data & journal entries required for tax purposes.
o Interacts with third parties in matters pertaining to accounting, income tax & finance.
o Review monthly financial statements, including accounting close process and analytical review of the operating results, to ensure complete and accurate accrual basis accounting records and financial statements are maintained.
o Develop and administer employee incentive plans.
o Preparation of annual budget and forecasting; compare costs incurred to budget and performance analysis of departments.
· Financial Analysis:
o Prepare monthly financial statement analysis, including prior month and year comparative data, financial ratio calculations, departmental activity recap with gross and net margin analysis, company-wide comparative data, work in process and FTE summaries, billable/chargeable reports, and comprehensive dashboard of various data tracking. (Simplify?)
o Lead monthly financial management meeting to educate and inform on monthly financial statements and related analysis.
o Develop, monitor, and modify, as requested, various financial and activity reporting.
o Analyze & bid out any vendor contracts to verify optimal pricing (includes insurance processes).
· Management of Accounting & Payroll Specialist: (oversight of AP, AR, Cash Mgmt, PR, Taxes, Monthly Journal Entries)
o Provide oversight and accountability of:
§ AP functions – reviewing/signing of all checks and any monthly scheduled payments.
§ AR functions – oversight of customer account activity, opening mail, and review of aging of AR.
§ Cash flow management – monitor & manage credit card and bank charges, payments, and transactions to facilitate usage in relation to cash flow requirements.
· Need to do deposits for segregation of duties (picture of checks, amount, deposit report)
§ Payroll functions – review bi-weekly payroll and related quarterly and year-end filings, as required by state and federal law, as well as annual payroll/salary analysis as requested by management.
§ Various Taxes: preparation and filings of income, sales and use tax returns to local, state and federal agencies.
§ Monthly Journal Entries – advising and reviewing entries before posting.
o Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
- Bachelors and/or Masters Degree in Accounting or Business Management with emphasis in Accounting.
- CPA is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in the Accounting/Finance sector.
- 4+ years experience managing Accountants and the Accounting/Finance process.
- 3+ years in a position equivalent to a Controller or higher responsibilities.
- Strong experience in both the private and public Accounting sectors is preferred.
- Team player that works well with others and is focused on building a strong, positive company culture.
- Credible, ethical, full disclosure and clean financial history.
- Confidential, understands and complies with the ethical standards of a CPA.
- Ability to handle payroll including the mental conflicts that are associated with this responsibility.
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product.
- Holds self and others accountable within the organization, including others on management & leadership teams.
- Possess and value good customer service and phone skills.
- Able to analyze, organize, summarize and articulate financial information.
- Able to read and interpret agreements, then implement the relevant provisions of these agreements.
- Understanding, yet persuasive and decisive when dealing with others in the organization.
- Responsive team player with ability to quickly prioritize among numerous pressing tasks.
- Capable of functioning in an entrepreneurial and corporate setting.
- Must have experience with accounting and inventory software programs.
- Driven, self-managing, goal-orientated, and hardworking.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong listening and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Background Check
- Pre-employment drug and alcohol testing required.
- 40-45 average work week
Note: The information contained in this role profile is intended to describe the essential job functions required of those assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all accountabilities, activities, skills and knowledge needed to perform in this role. Please note that functions and work schedules are reviewed periodically and are subject to change based upon business need.